As most of you know, we're now navigating this world with a severe nut allergy in tow. I say severe because Ian's RAST level is high & he's proven to be highly sensitive - his reactions have been scary (involving swelling & breathing difficulty) & it's really odd to have to practice an Epipen with a 3 year old. However, Ian is such a special, smart kiddo - he's already so mature about this - including accepting his limitations. Right now we don't know anyone locally with a nut allergy so it probably feels to him like he's the only one on earth who can't eat whatever he sees. For those of you who want to learn more about his allergy - I'm starting a list of links to the right. I'll add to them periodically as I find helpful resources. Feel free to let me know if you find some too! Thank you for learning along with us - especially all our loved ones who interact with Ian frequently!
2 comments:
Looks like you already have Food Allergy Network. Great resource. I think my mom's allergic to nuts; I'll ask her for info.
One big tip is to assume that people don't understand what food allergies are. We wrote "dairy allergy" in 3" red marking pen, and still had people trying to feed our kids cheese.
It takes a little work, but for quite a while, if it had an ingredient label, we didn't buy it. Everything was prepared from scratch. Good luck!
Thank you! Yes, we're finding it frustrating at times. I hope it gets easier to thwart dangerous food. At church last week they had tubs of peanut butter & jelly out for the post-mass snack - but sometimes it's not that obvious. Lots of well-meaning people offer Ian food that could be dangerous. I bring stuff with almost everywhere we go now. Thanks for the tips - I appreciate talking with someone who also deals with this!
Post a Comment